Monday, July 20, 2009

It comes crashing.

Nice guys finishing last is a common phrase thrown around the nice guy's table, but now it seems that it is a statement that is being backed by government and our general culture. I should have just believed it when I herd Green Day sing about it, but I decided to find out for myself.
Our nation today is suffering economically like rarely before. I am sure by now that we all have someone very close to us that has been affected by it, and hard. What we may not know is that whole industries are faulting under the economic stress. Industries that are designed to do good. One of those industries are the industry that My wife (Mallory), Father, Dog, and I are involved in now which is the industry of rehabilitation and behavioral help, and it is suffering greatly. It has been reported that fourteen different facilities have closed down this year, in utah alone. Even with fourteen less "competitors" the remaining companies still suffer. These are nonprofit companies that are set out to help the people, and are not getting bank bailouts or government aid. Wilderness Quest the program that I work for is verily standing and honestly shouldn't. The directors that are the foundation of the program have only been paid twice since November '08, and field staff like Mallory and I are having our hours cut in half and are very worried that our next pay checks won't be here. We continue to work hoping for a brighter future, but nice guys finish last. Normally around this time of the year we would have about 15 - 20 students now we have 7. Other programs around the nation are at 50% of their normal.
It comes crashing.
We came to work this summer for WQ knowing that it was hard times, but we were willing to help. Now, we are planning on packing our boxes and car a month early to find work again in SLC. A call center I'm sure :(

A moment.

No comments: